Monday 29 August 2011

YouTube Transcriptions: JeremyJahns' 'Our Idiot Brother' Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8fGh4UnhE&feature=mh_lolz&list=HL1314666908


"A Dramedy with stoner Jesus.  Awesome.

‘Our Idiot Brother’: So I’d heard a lot of good things about ‘Our Idiot Brother’; I heard it was like this revolutionary Comedy, but for me it was a Dramedy.  Actually, it wasn’t even a Dramedy; it was like a Drama with some comedy in it.  Like, a couple of scenes.  That’s it!  I mean, I just didn’t relate to this movie at all!  Probably because all the characters in this movie, I see on a daily basis.  Like, someone took Seattle, turned it upside down, shook it like a pepper shaker – whatever fell out, those were the characters in this movie.  I mean, you got douchebag painters and artists.  Really pretentious independent film makers who think they’re better than everyone else, so they can make their little documentary that’s gonna be shown to like NYU students on one day ever.  You know, the people who are like, “You don’t know what you’re talking about; this movie’s tour de force; a ???? performance; an ???? …This isn’t Starbucks; Starbucks: too mainstream”.  So, yeah, just not my thing.  I mean, I thought Paul Rudd was really good in the movie.  Like, Paul Rudd in the movie is so naïvely nice.  He’s like Steve Carell in ‘Dinner for Schmucks’, but not as annoying.  I mean, he’s really brutally honest; not for the sake of being brutal, but just ’cause he’s honest.  He doesn’t see the darker side of reality like ever.  It was really good to see him like steal the show; he’s like Steve Carell in ‘The Office’; how you’re like, “Dude, this is his role”.  That was Paul Rudd in this movie and I was glad to see it.  But for me, one character in a really slow Drama’s not enough to make up for the entire movie.  But this movie was marketed wrong.  Everything I’ve seen markets this movie as a Comedy.  It’s not; it’s a Drama.  I mean, this last summer we had ‘Crazy Stupid Love’.  That was a really good Drama Comedy.  It had characters I liked; it was well-written; I thought it was interesting; it was funny and dramatic – it had everything for me.  ‘Our Idiot Brother’ was a slow Drama with a couple of funny parts.  You can’t really come off of ‘Crazy Stupid Love’ into that.  There were a couple of funny parts and a couple of parts I really did like.  There was this one scene near the end where Paul Rudd says something; I was like, “Dude, I was glad to see that”.  Actually, the last ten minutes of the movie, I liked a lot.  But the other hour and a half…not my thing.  And so this movie is…a TOUR DE FORCE.  And by that I mean long, boring, drawn-out, and dull.  But Paul Rudd was good.  I’m just sayin’.  So, yeah, the movie disappointed me.  Don’t know what to say.  So, as for you guys, what’s your favourite Drama slash Comedy?  What’s your favourite Dramedy as it were?  Comment below; let me know!  And if you like what you’ve seen here and you wanna see more, click right here to see more!"

No comments:

Post a Comment