Thursday 15 September 2011

YouTube Transcriptions: Jim Sturgess ('One Day') Interview


Interviewer: You’ve had to defend ‘Dexter’ a little bit, haven’t you?  In the course of promoting this movie.  I think people - some people seem to think he’s a right cat or –

Jim Sturgess: Yeah, I had to defend him when we were making the movie.  All the girls on the film set couldn’t stand him, you know.

Interviewer: Really?

Jim Sturgess: We’ve had – it was quite interesting – you know, we would go out and have nights out obviously, and the - and the question would always come u – you know, people would argue about Dexter and Emma’s relationship.  You know, we got into great heated discussions with people.

Interviewer: What’s your take on him?

Jim Sturgess: My take is that he’s a good person.  You know, he’s irresponsible and, and…and irritating.  At times.  But, I mean, people thought that he treated Emma badly and I – and I don’t think he did so much.  I think he was – he kept her at an arm’s length and I think he really cared about their friendship, and he-he’s really kind to her an – Emma’s a nightmare as well.  But, I mean, it’s not his fault that she’s so in love with him, do you know what I mean?  And he can’t handle that and is not ready to deal with that, and absolutely loves her and wants to be around her all the time, you know.  He’s in a night club in the middle of the night and wants to call her and tell her how much he loves her, you know, and all those great things.  And he takes her on holiday, and, yeah, of course there’s a – there’s a  backhanded idea of why he’s doing that, but… but he’s just a fun-loving guy, you know, that gets himself into bit of trouble and gets things a bit complicated and is maybe a bit, er, clumsy with his behaviour.

Interviewer: Are you or have you been the kind of guy to make drunken phone calls from a night club?

Jim Sturgess: Er, yes, of course.  Yeah, everyone has, haven’t they?  Yeah, definitely.

Interviewer: Oh, I’m not answering that.  [Laughs]

Jim Sturgess: Oh, come on, that’s not fair.  If I’ve gotta admit to it, you’ve gotta admit to it.

Interviewer: Erm, I’m wondering have you encount – have you had any kinda strong reactions from fans of the book?  Er, you know, if they see you out and about or if they encounter you somewhere, do they – have they had strong reactions to your casting as ‘Dexter’?

Jim Sturgess: I’ve had it a few times, erm… Yeah, one in particular when I had a conversation with a girl I didn’t know at a f - a mutual friend’s barbeque.  And she was asking – you know, we were just chatting and she said, “Oh, so I hear you’re an actor, you know…  Have you been in anything or are you working on anything?” And I said, “Oh, we’ve just been making this film, er, ‘One Day’”.  And she was like, “*Gasp* Oh my God, yeah, that’s my favourite story; that’s my favourite book; I love that book”.  And then she said, “So d-do you have a speaking part in the film?”  I was like, “Well, yeah, I kind of play, you know, the ‘Dexter’ character in the film”.  And her face just dropped, you know; she was – she seemed so disappointed.  Erm, and, you know, and-and she was like – but then, of course, she has her own version of-of ‘Dexter’, but I did look at myself at the barbeque and I’d had a few beers and a fully-grown beard and was pretty out-of-shape at the time, so –

Interviewer: So you weren’t the great romantic hero...

Jim Sturgess: So I assured her that I look slightly better on camera than I did at this moment in time.

Interviewer: Well, hopefully she’ll forgive you when she sees the movie.

Interviewer: Erm, I’m wondering, erm…you had some lovely scenes in the movie with the little girl who plays your screen daughter –

Jim Sturgess: Yeah.

Interviewer: Are you feeling broody at all?

Jim Sturgess: That bit was lovely and I really enjoyed working with her, I really did.  She was such a sweet girl and we got on really well.  And it’s always great when you have to work that extra bit harder to make it believable for a young person.  So you really have to carry on; when the cameras aren’t rolling, you have to really make that an - a believable platform for them to sort of exist in.  Otherwise you shout “Action” and they start acting, you know, and so we had – so we spent a lot of time together and hung out, and were messing around.  You know, just to sort of build that kind of relationship.  And I really, really, really liked her; she was such a sweet girl.  So - and I love kids, you know; I love hanging out with kids, but then we had to do the scene with the screaming baby and that put me right back to square one.  I was like, “You can…forget about that”.  It was possibly one of the worst days of my life.

Interviewer: Didn’t like it, then?

Jim Sturgess: Didn’t like me at all. Because it was just, yeah, I mean ’cause we had to act with it and interact with the - with this poor baby and it was just – it-it just associated me with a bad time.  You give it to anybody else and it would calm down and be angelic and beautiful and then you hand it back to me and it would…just go for it in my ear. 

Interviewer: Erm, er…the way the date of July 15th is really important in the movie, I’m wondering if there is a specific date, apart from your birthday or something, that is very important to you or s - equal significance to you.

Jim Sturgess: Yeah, well I’d – I have to say the anniversary of when I met my girlfriend, you know.  Course, yeah.

Interviewer: Do you know what - can you remember what date?

Jim Sturgess: No...  No, it was the 20th of May.

Interviewer: OK.

Jim Sturgess: Yeah, we met at, you know, yeah, so we-we had…that-that moment where you just meet and connect and - I mean, we never sort of, we never went out with each other; we never went on a date; you know, we never - I never asked her out; we just started hanging out with each other, you know.  But that was a special day when we really sort of spent a lot of time together.

Interviewer: And lastly are you ready to be a sex symbol after this movie or…what does your girlfriend make of that?

Jim Sturgess: It’s just the weirdest question 'cause it’s just so – yeah, of course I’m not and I don’t think about it and I can’t, you know, perceive myself in that way and I can’t even believe many people fancy ‘Dexter’ at all, to be honest – not with that hairstyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment