Saturday 3 September 2011

YouTube Transcriptions: LGBT It Gets Better Project (Celebrities 5)

Adam Lambert
"It gets better. It seems hard; you know, I think being different is always going to be a tough-tough climb; you know, there's always gonna be people that are scared of it. But at the end of the day, if you give those bullies and those people that are - that are so ignorant and-and-and fearful of your lifestyle – if you give them the power to affect you, you're letting them win. And they don't deserve that. What you're doing by being who you are is you're keeping it real and you're being really brave. I believe in you; I think it's great. There are a ton of us out here in this world that are just like you, that believe in you. You know, even someone like me – someone that, er, has recently come into some success in his career – y'know, I'm touring the world; I have a CD out; I do music videos; I'm living my dream – even I get bullied. You look under any, you know, er, comment section on any article and there's bullies in there telling me that I'm a faggot; that I'm ugly; that, you know, I'm gross; “Ew, gross”; “Nasty"; “He's a girlie” - *noise* all this crap. You know, th-you know, I'm-I'm singled out and-and it's all “Gay”, “Gay”, “Gay”, “Gay”, “Gay!”, even though there's so much more to me than just who I choose to sleep with. So the thing at the end of the day is, ladies and gentleman, 's that you are so much more than your orientation. You know it and I know it. So don't let those bullies and those ignorant, fearful, small-minded people prove you wrong. You have to be strong and you have to pay attention to the positive. And in doing so, you will push through, and you will rise up, and you will live your life to the fullest. It gets better, but it's up to you."


Sarah Silverman
"Dear America,

When you tell gay Americans that they can't serve their country openly, or marry the person that they love, you're telling that to kids, too. So don't be f****** shocked and wonder where all these bullies are coming from that are torturing young kids and driving them to kill themselves because they're different. They learned it from watching you."


Kim Kardashian and Simon Huck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf9tcxHnVds&feature=related
Kim: Hi, everyone, this is Kim Kardashian and I'm here with my best friend Simon Huck.
Simon: Hi, everyone. This is a message for anyone who's feeling alone or sad, whether they're gay –
Kim: Or bullied.
Simon: – or bullied. Whether they are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender – whatever delicious flavour they come in – this is a message for them.
Kim: And, erm, you know, I know that I can't directly relate, but I feel like everyone feels alone in their own way or feels bullied and, erm... Like, when I'm at home and sometimes I look on the internet and I'll see comments about people, you know, calling me fat or, you know, just everyone has something negative to say. And I don't even know these people; you know, they could be across the country and be writi –
Simon: Or the world.
Kim: Yeah. Writing like these nasty comments about me and always judging and, you know. I could take one commen – I could read, like, so many sweet things and the one thing that stands out is something that's so negative and so nasty and, you know, I could be...sitting at home by myself and feeling like, you know, alone and feel, like, attacked and felt - you know, sometimes I feel judged, but...at the end of the day, I know that I have a great support system and great family and great friends, and I don't let the negative things get to me any more. And it's been a journey. And it's taken me a long time to figure this out, but ...you can feel the same too. You know, if you surround yourself with positive people and people that just love and support you for who you are, no matter what, erm... I just that's the most important thing and –
Simon: It will get better.
Kim: It will get better.
Simon: And I feel like in-in my personal, you know, story is...I was probably the last person on planet Earth to know that I was gay. It feels like everyone around me knew that I was gay, and f-for me, I just – I kept wanting to suppress those feelings. And I felt embarrassed. And my biggest thing was fear; I was scared that the people that I love – my friends; my family – wouldn't love me any more or wouldn't consider me the same Simon that they knew, erm, you know, when I was straight. For me, I think it a - it comes down to...you know, being scared of what other people are going to do to you and how they're gonna affect you and whether they're gonna love you or whether they're gonna feel the same about you. And the reality of the situation is that when I did come outta the closet, the people that I love still loved me and the people that, you know, were affected by it aren't in my life any more. But that does not mean that I, you know, haven't had a wonderful, less life and...that all of my dreams haven't come true 'cause they have. And...you know, people - I can - I can still remember the person in junior high. I would walk by him and he would make derogatory comments under his breath. And...I still remember his name; I know his last name; I remember his face when he said it, and this is over fifteen years ago. His careless comments still haunt me today and remind me of other people's fear. 'Cause people are scared; people are scared of things they don't understand; scared of things that are –
Kim: People really are like cowards.
Simon: Cowards.
Kim: They will say the meanest things and not even care who they're hurting [Simon: Right] and who they're affecting, and I think those people need to, you know, really learn a lesson on, you know, having manners and how to talk to people [Simon: Absolutely] 'cause it's just, you know, it's not OK, but you don't have to be, you know, your life doesn't have to revolve around other people's negativity. I really encourage, you know, just supporting yourself. You know, just surrounding yourself with people that just really love you for who you are 'cause, you know, it's just – I dunno, it just - I'm - I feel so blessed that I have such a great support system, and such great family and friends, and I know not everyone does have that, but it starts with you just accepting yourself for who you are and not allowing other people's negativity to rule your life.
Simon: Absolutely. And this is a message from Kim and I that you are brave, you are unique, and you are fabulous, and your dreams will come true, and it will get better.
Kim: It will.


Eve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaMdllWsqno&feature=fvwp&NR=1
"What's up, y'all? It's Eve here and, erm, I just wanted to send this video out just to tell you it-it does gets better. It get better. Erm, you know, I know life is crazy. Life has a lot of twists and turns. There's a lot of things in life that happen that sometimes you feel like...you may not understand or you may be the only person that's going through what you're going through, but most-most – in most cases; in all cases, usually, that's not the truth. Erm, reach out to somebody before you take any drastic measures; before you think about doing any harm to yourself, reach out to somebody. There are a lot of places in a lot of different cities – a lot of lesbian, gay, transgender facilities that you can, er, reach out to. Erm...trust me when I tell you a lot of people care. I care. A lot of people care. So...it gets better. And, er, make sure you know that. A lot of people are there for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment